Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Carl Sagan and On Time Travel


Chapter Ten: Write your reactions to any of the ideas about the future presented in this chapter.

After reading chapter ten I would have to say that Carl Sagan’s ideas about the future and time travel were what really caught my attention. His answers to his questions were said in a manner that was very easy to understand and grasp, you don’t have to be a physicist to understand what he is saying. Sagan’s points and explanations made me very interested in the topic of time travel; something that I felt, before reading this passage, was a thing of movies. His idea on the “grandfather paradox” is a very interesting one; he made a lot of valid points and raised questions that caused me to think, such as his question about the person killing their grandfather. Do they cease to exist because they were never made? Or does the person go on to live a different life with different events leading up to their adulthood?  I also love the statement Carl Sagan made where he said “I think inconsistencies might very well be consistent with the world.” This statement was not only very profound but also thought provoking. Overall I enjoyed this selection from the chapter very much. His ideas of the future and time travel were very honest and humble, he points out that we’re not yet at the stage we’re we can make time travel possible but the fact that it can even be thought as a possibility is a wonder of its own.
WC:239

No comments:

Post a Comment